September 05, 2008

Useless Holiday or Culinary Inspiration?

August is National Goat Cheese Month so in honor of this ever-so-important US holiday, I featured the delicious heirloom tomatoes I bought at the Baltimore Farmer’s Market in a modern caprese salad.

I know you’re thinking that I haven’t blogged in a month and this is all I came up with, but I’ve been away from home more than I have been there this summer so this is it for now. Excuses aside, this is a very yummy salad and I suggest you try it while fresh tomatoes are still available.

Goat Cheese Caprese Salad with Basil Vinaigrette



3 medium-sized fresh tomatoes (heirlooms if possible)
1 cup of fresh basil leaves
A small log of your favorite goat cheese
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Process the basil, olive oil and vinegar in a blender or food processor on low until everything is combined (about a minute), scraping down sides of mixer bowl as necessary. Drizzle the dressing over alternating layers of sliced tomatoes and sliced or crumbled goat cheese. Sprinkle salad with salt and pepper to taste.

1 comment:

That Girl said...

goat cheese is my favorite kind of cheese!